Why is nutrition important for kids?
Eating good foods is especially important for kids because they are still growing. Kids' bodies need nutrition to grow strong healthy bones and muscles. If you don't get all the vitamins and minerals you need while you are growing, you won't grow as tall and as strong as you could be.
Food Groups There are five main food groups that you should eat every day. By eating a variety of foods in each of these food groups, you will get the nutrition you need to grow and be healthy.
- Grains - bread, cereal, pasta, rice
- Dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt
- Fruits - apples, oranges, berries, grapes, bananas
- Vegetables - broccoli, beans, spinach, carrots, peas
- Protein - beef, chicken, pork, eggs, nuts, fish
As you can see, each of the five food groups is drawn on the plate. Notice that the vegetables and grains portions are slightly larger than the fruit and protein portions. This gives you an idea of what foods you need to eat and how much of each.
Fun facts about Nutrition
- Some foods are supposed to make you smarter like red cabbage, egg yolks, tomatoes, berries, and walnuts.
- People will try all sorts of crazy diets, but the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy and exercise.
- Empty calories are foods that have calories, but little nutritional value.
- These include solid fats and added sugars. Oils are fats that are liquid at room temperature.
- Some oils, like oils from fish and nuts, are good for you in small amounts.